Through God’s provision and the generosity of the body of Christ and multiple businesses, church and community volunteers will be afforded an expense-free missions trip enabling them to fully focus on doing ministry.
We are grateful for a wide cross section of partnerships coming together that include:
- Rev. Lamonte Williams and the Ministers Conference of Winston-Salem & Vicinity riding point on the project as a whole
- The support of Mayor Joines and the City of Winston-Salem, including funding one of two buses
- A significant contribution by First Presbyterian to fund the second bus
- Financial commitments of $2,000 from FaithHealth of Wake Forest Baptist, $500 from Love Out Loud and $500 from the New Canaan Society
- In-kind donations of water, cleaning supplies and other items to fill a Ryder truck (donations still being received at Old Tyme Café on University Pkwy)
- Lodging and meals being provided by First Baptist of Houston
- Other local pastors on the ground in Houston are providing key guidance and leadership
- Masks and other key supplies for workers being donated by Lowe’s
- Mosquitoe repellent donated by Dick's Sporting Goods
- Other partners continue to step forward
- 50 volunteers from the above organizations, multiple churches and the wider community left for Houston on Sunday and are working on the ground this week. Find updates on our Instagram and Facebook pages.
The buses will be leaving from the Fairground at noon on Sunday, Sept 24, and returning on Sept 28. The full itinerary will be available on the Ministers Conference website (http://www.ministersconferencewsv.org) on Thursday. For your convenience, we’re attaching the volunteer packet that includes the registration form (which can also be completed at: https://form.jotform.us/61678381403155), the liability form, and key volunteer prep information.
This is unique opportunity for us to follow the lead of our brothers and sisters in the Ministers Conference, and we pray this is the beginning of a new day of collaboration and cooperation in the Body of Christ here in WS. We are stronger together than we can ever be separately. Let's lean into the winds of the Holy Spirit that are blowing across and through the churches in our community.
The email below from Rev. Williams may also be helpful:
I pray that all is well with you. I wanted to inform you that the Minister's Conference of Winston-Salem & Vicinity has partnered with Mayor Allen Joines and the City of Winston-Salem, Baptist Hospital, and Love out Loud Organizations to respond to the disaster in Houston Texas. We are planning a trip to Houston September 24 and returning on September 28. We are planning for 100 volunteers to go and partner with local pastors on the ground in Houston. We are partnered with the local Ministerial Alliance there and have an initiative going to assist in cleaning churches, schools, and houses that have been devastated by the floods.
We would love to include you or your organization in this effort. Please consider giving us your support. We have housing and transportation that will be at no cost to all those 100 volunteers that travel to Houston. Additionally, food will be covered every morning and lunch. The official agenda will be available on Thursday, September 21, 2017 on Minister's Conference Website.
Please see the attached documents that the pastors on the ground have already identified as needs assessments for anyone desiring to respond. We are currently collecting water and cleaning supplies at Prime Time restaurant in Winston Salem (3050 UNIVERSITY PKWY | WINSTON SALEM, NC. 336.785-0914). We have raised almost $7,000.00 but we need to still raise $3,000.00 more to secure safety supplies for all the 100 volunteers that will be traveling. Our goal is to say to those willing to give of their time that we will cover all cost as our gesture of gratitude. We have special insight as we are provided real-time assessments from local pastors on the ground vs news media and other general sources.
Please see the attached documents that volunteers will need to travel with the group to Houston. They can complete the information and electronically send back to email@example.com. This will expedite those wanting to sign up first come first serve. If you can send out this correspondence to your network of friends and that will be awesome.
I'm available for any additional questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only Because of Calvary,
Rev. Dr. Lamonte Williams
President, Minister's Conference of Winston-Salem & Vicinity