Community Garden purpose: The Brownsboro Rd Community Garden will exist to cultivate community, care for neighbors, and create resources for empowerment. The garden is connected to 5 years of sustained efforts to partner with & serve residents holistically. 4 years ago, Love Out Loud came alongside members of the community & neighboring churches to begin a Summer Lunch Café to counteract childhood hunger. This effort was always intended to evolve beyond “relief” to a partnership model that gave opportunity for community members to work & develop their own resources. The community garden space is located at the corner of Brownsboro Rd & Linn Station Rd. The space we are clearing is approximately 6,000 square feet.
The Community Garden sections:
- Love/ Amor- The Love section is intended to continue relief/charity for families that find themselves in need. Food grown their will serve as a co-op that is open and available to all residents.
- Hope/ Esparanza- The Hope section of the garden will be a plot share for members of the community who wish to grow their own food. Each plot will be 3 x 6 feet & will allow families and/or individuals to provide for themselves. We will partner with interested families by offering seeds & technical support.
- Faith/ Fe- The Faith section will be used as a small business partnership with the community & Love Out Loud. Employees will primarily consist of neighborhood residents. We will seek contracts with local restaurants, as well as operate food stands at farmers markets, etc.
How you can help our community:
- Financial Donations- We have received a funding from the BB&T Lighthouse project to start the garden but we still need to raise approximately $2,000 by the first week in May to cover the costs of clearing the land we were given by unused lot of land we were given by Winston-Salem Christian School.
- "Garden Guides"- Anyone with gardening and/or land clearing expertise to serve as “garden guides” during the composting & planting stages.
- Other Volunteers- Anyone who can commit a couple hours of manual labor with the community during May & June.
MANY thanks to:
- The Brownsboro residents
- Love Out Loud
- The numerous other community organizations giving of their time, treasures, and talents
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.