Back To School
With so many amazing and generous efforts across WS/FC to help families get ready for school, we are reaching out to as many schools, community organizations, businesses, churches and individuals to get a sense for what they are thinking for the summer of 2017.
Each summer, there are many terrific school supply drives that support so many families across our city. Yet, often, we struggle to align our efforts so that ALL families and students are able to access this generosity...and to do so in empowering ways.
If you are planning any kind of supply drive or other effort to serve the families of our community and would be open to how we can better align our efforts, watch for gaps and duplication, and increase the impact of our shared work in our community, would you take a moment to complete the form below.
Love Out Loud is facilitating a community-wide conversation to simply discern how we can strengthen our collective efforts to meet this significant need for which our community feels great passion.
At the bottom of this page are two forms below: one specifically for school supply drives; a second for other back-to-school efforts.
First, though, is the current thinking about how we (the community!) might best support our educators and the families they serve.
Back-to-School Supply Drive Task Force
- We have an abundance of supplies flowing through the county, yet often uncoordinated and resulting in both duplication and gaps
- Many times, back packs that are distributed are not fully stocked, resulting in some parents having to go to multiple distribution points to get what they need.
- We will not “solve” the coordination of school supply efforts this year, but we seek to find alignment among the multiple independent efforts
- Coordinate our efforts for greatest impact.
- Raise awareness of the ongoing work of schools and partners.
- Deepen understanding of the context of school efforts and challenges families face.
- Build relationships across the community between schools, collective impact efforts, non-profits/ministries, other grassroots efforts and families.
- Seek alignment of dates as catalyst for partnership.
- Establish a common collection for supply drives that are not integrated into ongoing year-round efforts to serve families.
- Engage volunteers in packing fully-stocked backpacks.
- Distribute through channels of schools, non-profits and ministries in ongoing relationships with families.
- Collection and assembly: one central location? On-site at partner/pilot schools?
- Encouragement tunnel at District Kick-Off rally: date?
- Distribution: at Open Houses? Middle/High: Thurs, Aug 24; Elementary: Fri, Aug 25
- Backpacks in home rooms?
- Partners (all!!!) on site to support school personnel and families, including WSPD (in plain clothes handing out balloons?)
- Community meal after the open houses?
- Follow-up: encouragement tunnels at all partner/pilot schools on first day of school on Tues, Aug 29
- Debrief: early September
- Hold another drive in December/January to help families restock at mid-year
- Follow up meeting with principals and subset of task force for input: Friday, May 19, 2-3pm, WSFCS District Office
- Round 3 with a wider circle of principals and Title 1 leaders: Wednesday, June 21, 11am, Philo-Hill Middle School